This will cover picks 17 through 30. I have to leave after the Blazers pick. I will have a writeup out tomorrow analyzing the Knicks draft and the rest of the NBA draft.
Trade Rumor: The Rockets and Wolves have agreed to trade J Flynn and Montiejunas to Houston for Brad Miller, 23rd pick and future 1sst, source says
Update #5 – The Blazers selects Nolan Smith from Duke. Kind of surprising but he gives the Blazers another scorer off the bench.
Update #4 – The Timberwolves select Donatas Motiejunas from Lithuania – David Kahn is trying to load up on 5 PF’s and 5 PG’s to make his team up.
Update #3 – The Charlotte Bobcats select Tobias Harris for the Milwaukee Bucks. Pretty good pick though I had him going a little later. I would have taken Jordan Hamilton.
Update #2: The Washington Wizards select Chris Singleton with their second pick. They got much better in this draft.
Trade Rumor #2: The Pacers will also send the 42nd pick in this draft to the Spurs as part of the package to get George Hill, source says.
Update #1: Your New York Knicks select Iman Shumpert, the dual PG/SG from Georgia Tech. I love this pick as it will give us defense and versatility off the bench.
Trade Rumor: The Spurs will send George Hill to the Pacers as part of the package, source says.
After the 16th pick, I am going to make a new post
Trade Rumor: Spurs will send George Hill as part of a package to the Pacers for Leonard.
Update #16 (9:0 PM) Philadelphia selects Nikola Vucevic – I hate you Philadelphia. My favorite Knicks target is gone. New thread boys.
Update #15 (9:00 PM) Indiana selects Kawhi Leonard – My #1 Knicks target at this point is gone. What a steal for the Pacers.
Update #14 (8:54 PM) Houston selects Marcus Morris of Kansas – Twins back to back. Good pick as well.
Update #13 (8:46 PM) Phoenix selects Markeiff Morris from Kansas – Another Knicks target gone.
Update #12 (8:40 PM) Utah selects Alec Burks with their 2nd first round pick. – there goes another of my favorite Knicks targets.
Update #11 (8:34 PM) Golden State selects Klay Thompson – no surprise here. I mocked this last week and now let the Monta Ellis trade rumors begin.
Update #10 (8:28 PM) Milwaukee selects Jimmer Fredette for the Sacramento Kings (via the trade reported earlier) – Fredette and Evans in the backcourt is going to be a scary combination.
Update #9 (8:23 PM) Charlotte Bobcats select Kemba Walker – God damn you Michael Jordan go to hell. There goes my dreams for the Knicks to get Kemba. Read the rest of this entry »
Here is my final take at an NBA mock draft.
1. Cleveland Cavaliers: Kyrie Irving, PG, Duke – This pick is all but a lock. Unless the Cavs have a sudden change of heart, it will be Irving #1. In Irving, they get a player who can make his teammates better and also a player capable of taking games over.
2. Minnesota Timberwolves: Derrick Williams, PF/SF, Arizona – This is not the ideal pick for the Wolves but Williams gives them more versatility in the front-court. If I was the Wolves GM, I would take Enes Kanter to pair with Kevin Love.
3. Utah Jazz: Enes Kanter, C, Kentucky – The Jazz are happy to take Canter and pair him with Al Jefferson, Derrick Favors, and Devin Harris to form a formidable four man group.
4. Cleveland Cavaliers: Jonas Valancuinas, PF/C, Lithuania – Valancuinas is a versatile big who can pair with J.J. Hickson to have a very talented front-court for the Cavs.
5. Toronto Raptors: Tristan Thompson, PF, Texas – This is a pick that is gaining some steam. Thompson is from Toronto, is a great rebounder and defender and can also develop a decent offensive game over time.
6. Washington Wizards: Jan Vesley, PF, Czech Republic
7. Sacramento Kings: Brandon Knight, PG, Kentucky – The Kings take advantage of the Jazz going big and draft a PG that can score the ball and pair with Tyreke Evans.
8. Detroit Pistons: Bismack Biyombo, PF/C, Congo
9. Charlotte Bobcats: Kawhi Leonard, SF, San Diego State
10. Milwaukee Bucks: Alec Burks, SG, Colorado
11. Golden State Warriors: Klay Thompson, SG, Washington State
12. Utah Jazz: Jimmer Fredette, PG/SG, BYU – The Jazz have to decide between Jimmer and Kemba and I think they will take Jimmer to sell some tickets.
13. Phoenix Suns: Chris Singleton, SF, Florida State
14. Houston Rockets: Marcus Morris, PF, Kansas
15. Indiana Pacers: Markieff Morris, PF, Kansas
16. Philadelphia 76ers: Donatas Motiejunas, PF/C, Lithuania
17. New York Knicks: Kemba Walker, PG/SG, Connecticut – It is not impossible to see this fall because if the Kings and Jazz pass on him, it makes sense for him to be available here and the Knicks would love to add the hometown kid to add a scoring punch off the bench.
18. Washington Wizards: Jordan Hamilton, SF, Texas
19. Charlotte Bobcats: Nikola Vucevic, PF/C, USC
20. Minnesota Timberwolves: Iman Shumpert, SG, Georgia Tech
21. Portland Blazers: Kenneth Faried, PF, Morehead State
22. Denver Nuggets: JuJuan Johnson, PF, Purdue
23. Houston Rockets: Nikola Mirotic, PF, Montenegro
24. Oklahoma City Thunder: Kyle Singler, SF, Duke
25. Boston Celtics: David Bertans, SF/PF, Latvia
26. Dallas Mavericks: Tobias Harris, SF, Tennessee
27. New Jersey Nets: Marshon Brooks, SG, Providence – Brooks takes a tumble due to Kemba Walkers tumble. However, the Nets are more than happy to add some scoring to their wing.
28. Chicago Bulls: Reggie Jackson, SG/PG, Boston College
29. San Antonio Spurs: Jeremy Tyler, PF/C, USA
30. Chicago Bulls: Jimmy Butler, SF, Marquette
Here are some predictions of mine for the NBA Draft.
- Enes Kanter will go #2 overall to the Timberwolves: Even though I have Derrick Williams mocked there, I think the Wolves are going to avoid the Michael Beasly type player in Williams and go after a true center to pair with Kevin Love to give them a very talented front court.
- The Cavs will trade the #4 pick: With Kanter off the board and the Europeans being to much of a risk, the Cavs will trade the 4th pick in the draft for a mid 1st round pick and a 2012 1st round pick, since that draft will be loaded.
- Six (6) teams will buy first round picks. That number is slightly higher than normal but with a ton of picks being available from 18 to 30, I think a lot of contenders are going to be looking to get back into the 1st round.
- Seven (7) Europeans will be selected in the first round. Kanter, Valanciunas, Vesley, Biyombo, Motiejunas, Bertans, and Mirotic.
- The first five picks in order will be Irving, Kanter, Knight, Thompson, and Leonard.
- The biggest bust in this draft will be Bismack Biyombo. He lacks any offensive game and is not that good of a defender. He is a shot blocker that gives away post position to often
- The biggest steal in this draft will be Alec Burks if he goes after 15. If he goes before 15 the biggest steal will be Iman Shumpert.
- Tony Parker, Andre Igoudala, and Lamar Odom will all be finding new homes after tomorrow’s draft.
- The Heat, Knicks, Cavs, Celtics, Lakers, and Suns will be the teams to buy first round picks.
That is all I got. Get ready for the NBA Draft, which is at 7PM tomorrow on ESPN. Friday and Monday I will recap the NBA Draft and then we will be back to football.