2013 NFL Draft Scouting Reports – Kawann Short, DT, PurduePosted: May 14, 2012
Kawann Short, DT, Purdue
2011 Stats: 54 tackles, 6.5 sacks
Draft Projection: First Round
Draft Grade (out of 100) – 91.5
Player Comparison: Cullen Jenkins – Short is similar to Jenkins in size and ability as a pass rusher. I see Short being very similar to Jenkins in that he will give you 5 to 8 sacks a year and will deflect a lot of passes.
- Good size and strength – Short has great strength and size. He has a great bull rush and uses his strength to cause trouble for weaker offensive linemen
- Gets hands up in the passing lanes – Short has a knack for judging the throw by the QB and getting his hands on the ball.
- Makes splash plays – Short can do it all. He deflects passes, gets sacks, and makes tackles in the backfield. While he is not an elite pass rusher, he makes big plays on occasion
- Good athletic ability – While not a great athlete, Short is most definitely a good athlete. He shows good speed when chasing from behind and has good jumping abilities.
- Stacks and sheds blockers well – Short does a good job taking on the blockers and then throwing them away. He does a good job taking on double teams and controls his gap.
- Active hands – Short uses his hands when pass rushing well and can keep a blocker away from him and throw them to the side.
- Good tackler and pass rusher – Short wraps up well and rarely misses a tackle. He is also an above average pass rusher with potential to be a force when he focuses.
- Does not get great leverage all the time – At times, Short plays too high and will get moved out of the way with ease.
- Does not have great explosiveness – Short is a good pass rusher but not because of his first step.
- Consistency and hustle – Short dominates games when he feels like it but at times takes plays and even games off. He was taken out of too many games last year.
- Not a lot of pass rushing moves – While he is a good pass rusher, it is more because of his strength then actually making pass rushing moves.
Final Word: Short is a good prospect but his has his limitations. He is good against the run and can get a sack here and there but he will never be an elite pass rusher. However, he should be a solid player with the ability to get 5 or 6 sacks a season.