1. Indianapolis (2-14) – Team Needs: QB, OG, OC, 2CB, WR, SS, TE, DE, LB, RB – Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
2. St. Louis (2-14) – 2OT, 2WR, 2OLB, FS, CB, DT, OC, RB, FB – Matt Kalil, OT, USC
3. Minnesota (3-13) – LT, CB, WR, S, OG, 2LB, DT, FB, RB3 – Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
4. Cleveland (4-12) – QB, WR, RT, DE, CB, OLB, RB, OG, FS, DT, K – Robert Griffin, QB, Baylor
5. Tampa Bay (4-12) – 2CB, 2LB, RT, WR, OC, RB, LG, FB, DT, QB, K – Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
After the jump see the rest of the mock draft
I never mock trades but in this scenario I am going to mock one. The Redskins are going to give up their 1st, 2nd, and 4th round picks to move up from #6 to #2. Also note that this was written on 1/21, before the Championship games were played so the order of the draft reflects that. The final four picks were determined by Regular season record. Note – because the order is wrong at the end I decided to forgo explanations for the final three rounds and just get this published.
1. Indianapolis (2-14) – Team Needs: QB, OG, OC, 2CB, WR, SS, TE, DE, LB, RB – Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford – Is an explanation really needed here?
Hello everyone, I’ve been invited to be a part of this team and I’m excited to get started. I haven’t done a mock with trades in a while, but with so much movement expected in this year’s draft I thought it would be appropriate. I hope you appreciate it and as always constructive feedback is welcomed. Enjoy!
1. Indianapolis Colts: Andrew Luck QB, Stanford
Not much explanation needed here. The Colts will take Luck, no questions asked.
TRADE: Rams trade #2 pick to Redskins for 2012 1st, 2nd, 4th and 2013 1st and 3rd.
2. Washington Redskins (via Rams): Robert Griffin III QB, Baylor
This could be one of the most predictable trades in quite some time. Washington will go after for RG3, and I don’t see another team wiling to outbid them.
3. Minnesota Vikings: Matt Kalil OT, USC
The Vikings need to put weapons around Christian Ponder immediately. They would have to seriously consider Blackmon here, but ultimately a franchise LT like Kalil is too valuable. If they can find a #1 receiver they will have a good group in place on offense.
4. Cleveland Browns: Justin Blackmon WR, Oklahoma State
Cleveland is rumored to want RG3 as well, but they are in too good a position to trade out of. Any of the top prospects on offense would fit for them, so they can sit tight and wait for whoever comes. Blackmon would be a great target forColt McCoy (or whoever they have at QB) and would push Greg Little down to #2, which is where he belongs. If Blackmon is gone, they can take Richardson since they will be losing Peyton Hillis in the offseason.
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Morris Claiborne CB, LSU
Tampa is also in a good position since its unlikely any defensive players will be taken in the top 4 (barring a trade). That means they can take Claiborne who fills their biggest need. Claiborne isn’t as freakishly athletic as Patrick Peterson, but is probably an even better cover corner.
Well I have gathered enough information to publish another mock draft. This one is of the two round variety. Anywhere you see a ? next to team needs, that means I still need help with those teams. Once I gather all that information, I can begin expanding the draft to 3 and 4 rounds.
1. Indianapolis (2-14) – Team Needs: QB, OG, OC, 2CB, WR, SS, TE, DE, LB, RB – Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford – This is an absolute no brainer and no explanation is really needed.
2. St. Louis (2-14) – 2OT, 2WR, 2OLB, FS, CB, DT, OC, RB, FB – Matt Kalil, OT, USC – This pick is basically a no brainer. The Rams will consider Justin Blackmon but a franchise LT is more important and more valuable than a franchise WR.
3. Minnesota (3-13) – LT, CB, WR, S, OG, 2LB, DT, FB, RB3 – Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State – If Kalil is taken by the Rams, this pick will also be a no brainer. Blackmon is a beast and would give Jake Locker a franchise WR.
4. Cleveland (4-12) – QB, WR, RT, DE, CB, OLB, RB, OG, FS, DT, K – Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor – Again, another no brainer. If Blackmon is off the board, the Browns will have to take the 2nd best QB in the draft and someone that fits perfectly in Pat Shurmur’s West Coast offense. He has great accuracy, is very mobile, and has great intelligence.
5. Tampa Bay (4-12) – 2CB, 2LB, RT, WR, OC, RB, LG, FB, DT, QB, K – Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU – Another easy pick. The Bucs biggest need is finding a CB and Claiborne is the best CB in the draft class and could be better in coverage than Patrick Peterson was in coverage.
After the jump see the rest of this mock draft
Anyways, here is my first mock draft for 2012 and it will be of the one round variety. Why only one round? Because I need you guys to help me with something. As of know, I really only know the team needs for 5 to 10 teams. Wherever you see a ? down below the jump, that means I don’t know those teams needs. If you guys could, I would greatly appreciate it if you could list the teams needs in order of greatest importance to least importance in the comments section. Once I have all the teams needs filled out, I will move on to 4 or 5 round mock drafts.
Obviously the order is just my speculation. It is the least important part of these mock drafts. Don’t take it personal if your team is picking higher than you would like. The record’s I have are how I think each team will fare in the 2011-2012 season. Also, please note in the title the version number is represented as (rounds.how many mock drafts I have done with that many rounds)
1. Washington Redskins (3-13): Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford: Whoever picks #1 will probably be a quarterback needy team and will take Luck, Barkley, or Jones. Unless Jones or Barkley are spectacular, that team will take Luck.
2. Buffalo Bills (4-12) : Matt Barkley, QB, USC: If the Bills are picking this high again, they have to think about taking a QB. Barkley has huge upside and would possibly move the Bills up from picking in the top 3 to picking 10 to 15.
3. Minnesota Vikings (4-12): Matt Kalil, OT, USC: Kalil is a good but not great tackle prospect but fills a huge need at OT. He needs to do some work but given proper time he could become a stud.